Translate

Monday 12 February 2018

Part 45 - per ardua ad astra

Through adversity to the stars.

Never in the field of human endeavour has something so stupid yet at the same time totally appropriate been contemplated and then actually achieved.

I refer of course to a Tesla now heading out into space with a dummy in the drivers seat in a space suit, looking really cool with his arm on the windows, just cruisin'.
This is a live feed.

Love the Hitchikers reference on the display...
(semi)Automated vehicle in space, another first.

When you think about it though the number of technological achievements that made this happen are staggering.
1. The heaviest payload ever achieved to space
2. Recovered booster rockets (well nearly all).
3. Fully autonomous ship to land the booster on.
4. The sheer pathos of the payload and the totally appropriate soundtrack that goes with the videos will make Bowie live forever.

This whole thing just makes me tingle.

And as a bonus the flat earthers have to come up with a new theory or more likely will just brand it all as a fake because they can't disprove it. Oh well it takes all types.

When the Tesla eventually goes into a parking orbit I wonder how long it will be before someone finds a way of give it a ticket?

Anyway, back on our world.

I have been fortunate in my job to have been involved in basic testing of a Teleprescence robot that allows sick kids at home or in hospital to interact with their friends in class without leaving their home or even their bed. This is a project by a group in Australia called Missing school.
This is the actual Omnilabs ad for the device.
This is something that could see a lot of use in schools in the near future and a number of  Australian schools are currently trialing it.
It's great because the kids who are confined can still participate in the class and interact which can give them more meaning to their lives and an interest while still learning.

Back in my world I'm progressing with my build of the Inmoov robot and have completed the forearm and hand and am now printing every night to get all the plastics ready for when my servos arrive from the US. 
This is where I'm at:

The software makes it much easier (Myrobotlabs) than trying to write your own, believe me I've tried (and failed).

I grew up in an era with no TV and now look at what you can do at home.
Never would have thunk it.






No comments:

Post a Comment